As a result of beating Roger Federer in the semi-finals of Indian Wells and winning the BNP Paribas trophy with a fantastic victory over Rafael Nadal in the finals, the best Serbian tennis player has climbed to no. 2 in the rankings again this week, overtaking the Swiss, who has dropped to position no.3.
Nole won 910 points more than last year, going 4 steps further at the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 event. He now has 8,710 ATP points, 430 more than Federer.
Spaniard Rafael Nadal still holds the no.1 world ranking.
“ It makes me feel great. It's the crown for my achievements this year. I think I deserve it. I think I've played the best tennis of my life in the last three months. I have been very dedicated, very professional, and I want to keep on going ”, said Nole of returning to the no.2 ranking for the first time since last October.
ATP top 10 as of March 21:
1. Rafael Nadal (Spain) 12,630
2. Novak Djokovic (Serbia) 8,710
3. Roger Federer (Switzerland) 8,280
4. Robin Soderling (Sweden) 5,735
5. Andy Murray (Great Britain) 5,545
6. David Ferrer (Spain) 4,510
7. Tomas Berdych (Czech Republic) 4,320
8. Andy Rodick (USA) 3,260
9. Fernando Verdasco (Spain) 3,095
10. Jurgen Melzer (Austria) 2,695
SOURCE: Novak Djokovic Official WebSite